Friday, April 29, 2011

We Got Mail!!

March 29, 2011

Dear Mom,
Thanks for the letter you sent me. Tell President Scoresby that I say hi. I hope that Trek goes well for you guys this year. Tell Scott Hansen that I say Hi.

Mom, I would tell the Priest to go on a mission. It is the best thing for a young man to do. It has really changed my life. What you said is very true. If the Lord wants you in a certain part of the world then he will help you. He surely has helped me with the Portuguese language. I thought the same way about the language, but Heavenly Father has helped me a lot. One thing I would tell him is to do the same thing I did before the mission. I went to a quiet place and prayed and asked Heavenly Father if I should serve a mission. He answered my prayer. I felt a desire that I should serve. I also prayed to know if this church is true and what I learned was true. Mom, I know that this is the only true church on the face of the Earth. I am so grateful that I have the opportunity every day to serve and help the people know that Christ’s church has been restored through Joseph Smith. My favorite lesson to teach is the Restoration because the spirit is so strong. I know that President Monson is a true prophet and that he guides the church. Mom, I too, at the beginning of my mission asked Why am I here? Will I ever learn this language? Is this church really true? Is the Book of Mormon true? I felt unsure of many things but now I can say I am here to serve and help others know that this church is true. I know that the Book of Mormon is a true book written by prophets that lived here in the Americas. Mom I know that Heavenly Father is aware of my needs. He is always there to help. I am so grateful to be here in Brasil serving and loving the people. I can’t believe that here in a few months I will not be a missionary anymore. It is just an awesome calling that I have.

Every young man should serve a mission. It is the best 2 years of your life. I have learned so much in the last year and six months. I would say the one thing to do is pray. It is the way we communicate with Heavenly Father. Like we teach people when Joseph read James 1:5—“If any of ye lack wisdom let him ask of God.” If he really is wondering tell him to pray and ask Heavenly Father if he should serve a mission. I do not regret going on a mission. I felt the same way as he does especially about a new language, but Heavenly Father will help.

I hope that this letter helps. I love you and thanks for everything. Mom, my testimony about the Savior and his atonement has sure grown over the past year and six months. I am so grateful that Christ suffered for my sins, and everyone’s sins so that we can live with him again. I am so grateful I made the choice to serve a mission. I love you!!
Elder Shelley

Have the priest study:
D&C 4—especially verses 3 and 7
D&C 11:21
D&C 14:3
D&C 50: 22
D&C 68:5-6
D&C 84:88
These are just a few scriptures that might help.

Dear Dad,
How are you doing? I am just fine. It really does not seem like I have been out for 18 months. I love being a missionary. I am so glad that I made the decision to serve the Lord. It has sure not been the easiest year and six months but I have sure learned a lot. I have learned how to be a good leader. I know I have always had leadership positions in the church, but as a missionary you have a vision with the members and leaders. Well, I am just going to keep doing my best. I love reading the scriptures. I just made it through the "war chapters" in Alma. The mission has 106 missionaries. I sure hope that more missionaries can get their visas.

I can't wait to go hunting again. I love the outdoors and really just appreciating all of God's creations. I also can't wait to go to Disneyland. You won't believe it but here in this area and in other areas, there are smells that remind me of different parts of Disneyland. Well, I hope you have a good time at work and that things go well. Thanks for everything. I love you.
Elder Shelley

Dear Jani,
How are you doing? I am just doing great. I am trying to work hard every day. I love being able to share the gospel with everyone. It is one of the best things every. I will tell you it is hard work. It is not very easy to baptize people. We did teach a guy yesterday that was very receptive and it was probably the best lesson that me and Elder Peterson have given together. I am really excited for General Conference. The last one on my mission. I can't wait for the next one in October--No Suit!! :) I hope things are going good for you...

Dear Juli,
How are you doing? I can't believe you are almost done with 6th grade. That is really cool. You will love junior high. Well, thing are going good here. I am teaching and working hard every day. Are you loving the temple? I sure miss going to the temple. I wish it was in our mission boundaries. I can't believe how fast time is flying by. It seems like yesterday I said good-bye to you at the airport. I love the mission and the people here, but I also miss you a whole bunch. I can't wait to get home and we can do stuff together. I will definitely miss the people of Brasil. They are just a loving people. Well I love you and thanks for everything. Thanks for taking care of Sid...

Dear Matt,
My mission is going just great. I can't believe how fast time is flying by. I have had about 18 baptisms. It is hard to get people to be baptized. Hopefully, this young woman named Jessica will be baptized soon. Well I hope the baptisms will come. The weirdest thing I have eaten were pig's feet, ear and tail. They were weird. Right now it is usually between 90-100 degrees but sometimes it gets even hotter. That is good that your mission is doing good. It is way fun going and teaching people about the gospel. That is one of my favorite things I love is sharing my testimony with others every day. I can't wait to play basketball with you also. Just to let you know I really stink at it now. Keep practicing and September we will play some ball. Remember that I love you and go to the temple as often as you can...

Love,
Elder Shelley

No comments:

Post a Comment