Saturday, October 24, 2009

We Got Mail!

Here is Greg's letter dated October 11, 2009
Hey Fam,

Hey how is it going? It is so much fun to receive letters from you guys and emails. Every time I email I feel you guys right beside me telling me these. It is the coolest feeling ever.

I have had a good week. I am doing okay with the language. Even though I am struggling I am learning to be better. I can’t believe I am on my “fifth week” at the CTM. The time has flown by. The guys in my district said if our mission was on a clock—24 hour—we would be at 1 a.m. right now. It is crazy how fast time flies.

Today I gave my first talk in sacrament meeting. It was on the Christ-like attribute of Hope. I did a good job, everyone after told me how good it was.

Let me tell you about an experience I had today. After sacrament meeting we have a district meeting. The District Leader, Elder Brewer and Elder Jeppson taught about Christ-like attributes. The spirit was strong. Toward the end my eye caught on 3 Nephi 12:16. It talks about letting our light shine that people may see your good works and glorify your Father in Heaven.” The Spirit hit me strong that I shared my feelings about this scripture. I told them that yes we need to develop the Christ-like attributes now, but they don’t stop there, we develop them forever. Even when we get older, people will notice that we have a glow about us or the light of Christ in our lives. During that time the spirit was so strong. I am glad that I obeyed and listened to the spirit. Just my small comment changed the tone of that meeting.

I have grown to love the Brazilians that have been in the room. Elder Lopes and Elder David. They are the best. Elder lopes wants to learn English and we want to learn Portuguese. We teach them English and he will teach us Portuguese. I am sad because they are leaving on Tuesday in two days. I have grown to love the Brazilian people. They love to have fun and party and when they share the gospel it is so powerful. They bring in the best spirit ever. I am really going to miss them, but I know they are going to be awesome missionaries. Just the other day, me and Elder Huxford taught our Brazilian friends and their friends. The spirit was so strong for when we were teaching and when they were teaching.

I still miss you guys and pray for you guys every day. You guys would love the humble people of Brazil. They are the best people you will ever meet. I am glad I am here serving a mission and teaching the gospel. I can’t believe in a week and six days I will get to go out and tract on the streets of Sao Paulo. I can’t wait. I can see the Lord helping me each day as I learn the language and teach. I can’t wait to share the gospel to the people of Ribeirao Preto. I leave on the 17 of November. I don’t know what time.

I love the people here, they are the best. I love all the missionaries. I have become good no great friends with some of the other missionaries. I am glad I am here and I know it is the right thing to do. Thank you for all of your prayers, it really helps. Tell everyone hi back in Utah.

I still don’t like the food very much, but it is okay. The other day we had pig tail, it wasn’t bad but it wasn’t good. I still miss your cooking mom and Jani and Juli and Dad and Matt.

Take care, and I know that this church is true. I have one piece of advice: Always Be Obedient! Even if you don’t know why, do it and you will be blessed.

Love,
Elder Shelley

No comments:

Post a Comment